Coach's Code of Conduct
Coaches play an incredibly important role in a player's sports experience. In short, coaches must be a positive and healthy influence on a player. A coach must promote good sportsmanship, safety and a solid work ethic. He/she must also encourage teamwork and discipline.
Coaches must set an example to his/her players at all times by:
1. Abstaining from using profanity, derogatory, aggressive, or inappropriate language towards players, officials, and other coaches and players.
2. Abstaining from using or being under the influence of alcohol or illicit drugs in the presence of his/her players.
3. Abstain from using tobacco products in the presence of his/her players.
4. Recognizing that he/she can make a difference in his/her players' lives by being genuinely concerned for his/her improvement and development.
Coaches must follow a code of behavior that would make the game of soccer more enjoyable for his/her players and parents:
1. Know, understand, and obey the Laws of the Game.
2. Be accepting of the referee's decisions, no matter what the cost.
3. Be generous when you win and be graceful when you lose.
4. Be fair no matter what the cost.
5. Work for the good of your team.
6. Believe in the honesty of your opponents and referees.
7. Conduct yourself with honor and dignity.
8. Attend coaching classes or clinics to learn effective ways to conduct practices.
9. Educate the players to the technical, tactical, physical, and psychological demands of the game for their level.
10. Give good guidelines to parents, be firm with them, and communicate often.
11. Never tolerate unfair gamesmanship.
12. Always be prepared to handle first aid situations and medical emergencies at all practices and games, both home and away.
13. Allow players to have fun and offer positive feedback continuously.
14. Strive to help each player reach his/her full potential and be prepared to move to the next stage of development.
IF THERE IS ONE THING TO ALWAYS REMEMBER WHEN COACHING, IT IS THAT CHILDREN ARE ALWAYS WATCHING YOU. MAKE IT GOOD.
**Once a coach has completed the application process and been instructed by the Director of Coaches, he/she must complete and submit the RRSC Coaches' Code of Conduct Agreement, as well as an application for a background check.